Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Being a housewife...

Is something that I am not used to.

Yes, I know its day two of maternity leave. Already I feel a bit lost. A bit guilty even. I know I shouldn't, but I've been working since I was 16. It feels strange to sleep in till 8am and not go to work.

Today I had all of my jobs done by 10am. What next? All the washing was done, I had even ironed the basket of washing waiting for me. Richard secretly loves that dinner is waiting for him and he has a wardrobe full of work shirts ready for the week. The flat has never sparkled so much!

I know I shouldn't be talking like this. I should be enjoying all this free time, because I'll be craving it very soon.

I am spending a lot of time going to the loo and paying a lot of attention to checking each twinge and kick. I'm growing impatient, but then patience was never one of my strong suits. My mind keeps thinking about how I will go into labour. Will it be on the bus? Will it be on a Friday night? Will it be when Richard has just left for work? WHEN ARE YOU COMING BABY????

It also seems that everyone in our apartment block is waiting for the baby to come too. I went to check our mailbox at 3pm. 'Is your baby not here yet?' says the caretaker. 'No, still a couple of weeks to go' I smile. Even the gay couple on Level 2 seem excited about the baby.

Anyway, I am back for another appointment at Randwick tomorrow and will see Ellie and the student midwife Hayley. I am sure at 38 weeks there will be nothing new except my stretchmarks that have decided to appear on my lower belly.

Motherhood is a practice in patience, and its my goal this week to learn it :)

2 comments:

Simone said...

haha, rich better not get to used to the dinner on the table when he gets home and the ironing done. you will be lucky to get out of your pyjamas to begin with.

Chantelle said...

I'm here cheering the baby on too.

I can't wait for you to arrive. x