Sunday, November 9, 2008

Friends are like gold...


Yesterday Rich and I headed to Coogee Bowls for a combined birthday party for our friends Willie and Terry.

While we have been in Sydney I've been amazed at how many generous and beautiful people we have met. Everyone in our group is either Scottish, English or Irish but now there are a few more Aussie girls as all the blokes start to get engaged and pair off. And last night we met a few more people and had a fabulous time. One couple had a two year old and a four week old and another guy was starting his residency over at Randwick as a doctor, I joked he might be seeing a lot more of me soon!

Even though I cannot bend over to bowl a ball right now, I loved how yesterday was just bare foot and relaxed, with kids mingling everywhere and people commented on how good life is right now. It makes me think we are so lucky to live in Australia. We can go and play a few games of bowls with cheap jugs of beer and then have a bbq afterwards and chat about all sorts of things.

We had an early berth as I was getting a bit tired, but Richard commented that everyone is so excited for us. We don't have any family in Sydney but these guys are just like family and it certainly felt like that at our wedding too. I can't count the number of times we've pulled together when someone is ill or something has happened back home that knocks them for six. And to think we are adding another little person, it blows me away how much they will be loved by all their surrogate Aunties and Uncles.

I feel very very lucky to live in Sydney and have all these great people around us.


2 comments:

Domestic Goddess said...

That's wonderful Jo. It's so important to have a support network when you're away from family.

Gahhh makes me miss Sydney lifestyle though....so easy going.

Simone said...

your making me miss home more and more with that post. nothing beats a good barby