Monday, January 19, 2009

Reality check

Well, maybe I spoke too soon.

Liam must be going through a growth spurt when he turned 6 weeks. I can't think of anything else that could possibly explain what we've noticed in the last three nights.

Wide awake at 3am and not wanting to go back to sleep. Constant grizzling. Not being able to leave the room without him screaming. I have gone back over my steps and checked and rechecked everything. Wet nappy? No. Hungry? No. Wind? No.

I think sometimes babies just like to be held close. Today would have had to have been the hardest day since Liam was born, not discounting those three nights on my own in hospital. I'm ashamed to admit I just held him and cried this morning and then started him off too.

It was only when I spoke to mum on the phone this afternoon and had him over my shoulder to burp him that he finally relaxed. But as soon as I got off the phone and tried to put him in his cot he started again.

I feel like a bit of a failure at the moment. And frustrated at myself that I am not being patient when I should be. None of my jobs around the house got done and I didn't get to eat anything till 4pm today.

I know there is no point getting upset. I am beginning to understand that parenthood is challenging and hard. Just when you think you have things under control and sussed, a new challenge will creep up and turn everything on its head.

2 comments:

Simone said...

jo i had days where i didn't get to eat nor get out of my pyjamas but i would do it all again. it does get easier and you will to do it all again

Chantelle said...

Your last paragraph is so true.

I found, too, that when I felt like I finally had it all sorted... it would come undone. Usually it was when she was having a wonder week (growth spurt).

This too shall pass. xx