Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Penny Drops

Liam has been on the Save Our Sleep routine since he was about 4 weeks old. This book has been our saviour and we've dipped in and out of it whenever we have had any questions.

I'm a big believer in routine and I like knowing when Liam needs to be fed and how much sleep he has in a 24 hour period. From about 5 months old Liam started to sleep through the night from 7am to 7pm, and then we had another 3 weeks where he would start waking every 3 hours or so.

Now that he's 6 and a half months, the 7pm-7am sleep is perfect. Teething will probably start soon, so I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch just yet.

Liam's day sleeps are a nightmare. He'd go down at 9am and sleep for 40 minutes if I was lucky. Interestingly, when Richard is home for the weekend, Liam would sleep his full nap. I don't know what it was.

As for an afternoon sleep, forget it.

I knew I had to try and introduce a day sleep because he was getting to 4pm and crashing out.

I referred to the book again and then it dropped. Why didn't I see it before? Liam goes to sleep with a sleeping bag at 7pm. It's his sleep cue. So now, I've put him in his bag at the morning and afternoon nap and I can't believe it, but he's had two day sleeps since yesterday. And he's sleeping now. I can eat breakfast and I had lunch yesterday for the first time in ages.

Of course, Richard goes back to work tomorrow, so who knows what's going to happen!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I am a big SOS fan too.

Its funny but every time I reread the book I pick up something in there that makes total sense, that I had missed all the other times!

I hope it keeps working for you :)

xoxo

Amy said...

oh forgot - I have tagged you http://amybloggingaboutbub.blogspot.com/2009/06/big-thank-you-to-gorgeous-kirrily-for.html

apologies if you have already done this challenge!

xox