Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Babies babies everywhere

Over the weekend two friends of mine had their first child.

Last night we let Liam stay up a little later and we went to The Royal in Randwick to see little newborn Kaja.

It felt so surreal to walk into the Paddington ward, nearly nine months after having Liam. As soon as we walked out of the lift Richard and me were hit with the smell of the hospital food and we looked at each other and said 'remember that smell?'.

We saw little Kaja and congratulated her parents Matt and Julie. They were just so pleased. It was beautiful to watch them with their first daughter. You forget how small newborns are and how good they smell. Liam was sitting on the bed saying 'dad, dad, dad' and it made me teary to remember he was once that small.

I thought my cluckiness had disappeared, but holding Kaja, I remember how addictive newborns can be. I'd love a second child, but not for a while yet, maybe another 2-3 years or so.

Babies are such a blessing and driving home from the hospital it made me feel good that my little family has come so far, despite the ups and downs along the way.

1 comment:

Simone said...

definitely come along way.