Thursday, August 13, 2009

Small steps

Yesterday was a great day. In fact, I think it was the first day in about 4 weeks where I haven't cried. I don't know whether this has co-incided with me taking my medication for the first time yesterday or the fact that I finally asked for help. I'm not going to analyse it too much. It was just a good day and I felt calm. And rational.

I took Liam up to see Richard at work in Chatswood. Richard was so proud showing him off to everyone at work. I made sure Liam looked his best and he had on baggy jeans, his orange shirt and his white and black adidas trainers. He was a hit with all of Richard's work colleagues. I knew when I left Richard really appreciated us coming up to see him.

I also met up with my friend Viv at the shopping centre. We used to work together and as an older mum, she had plenty of advice for me. It was so good to see her again and see how well her little boy is. He's two weeks older than Liam.

On the way home I was feeding Liam his banana on the train and I felt something sharp. His first tooth! I felt so happy and wanted to shout it out to all the people on the train. I smiled at him and told him I was so proud of him and then he waved at me. I've been trying to teach him for ages and it just happened.

It was then that I realised that these are the moments that really make all the hard times worth it. I wasn't thinking about all the problems we've had with money or with my inlaws. It was all about being in the 'moment' and just being truly happy and proud of my little boy.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Little steps are all you need, good for you xxx

Maree: said...

Sounds like a Great Day you had...take each day as it comes & stay Positive...just Enjoy your MUM time..
cheers

Miss Rosie said...

Jo it sounds like it was an awesome day. Yay Liam for his first tooth.