Thursday, December 3, 2009

Happy Birthday Liam

Dear Liam

Happy Birthday my beautiful boy. I can't believe how quickly a year has passed.

I remember the moment you were born. I'll always remember the moment when the doctor told me she was cutting into me and how I felt you being pulled from me. I felt a strange mixture of excitement, about seeing you for the first time and about how sad I felt that you weren't going to be inside me anymore. No more 3am moments where it was just you and me, playing, in the dark of the night. Or when I was still sleeping and your dad would cuddle up behind me and feel you move around. Your dad would talk to you every night when he came home from work, without fail. He loves you so so much.

We've had a massive year. So huge. I took you to Perth when you were two months old to meet all your extended family. You were excellent on the flight. So many people commented on how good you were. You loved the trolley coming down the middle of the aisle so much I had to pull you in. I remember how Nana Bernie burst into tears when she saw you at the airport and held your head in her hands and told you how beautiful you were. I remember how excited your cousins Charlie, Jack and Harry where to meet you for the first time. I felt so proud to take you home.

When Nanny Mary and Grandad Joe came over from London in March I will never forget how beautiful their faces looked. It was like they had been waiting their whole lives to meet you. They spent 7 weeks with you and I could tell how much you loved them.

I hope I have been a good mum to you. I feel I have. I love you with such a ferocity in scares me. I would do absolutely anything for you. Anything. You are such a good little boy and I am so proud of you. There is not a day that goes by where I take you out and someone comments on you. Every time someone says something about you, my heart soars. You took a while to come to us, but you were worth every single moment of waiting.

Your dad was so proud to take you home to London in September. He was excited about going home for Uncle Paul's wedding and introducing you to everyone. You were fantastic on the flight but we got so scared when you got sick a couple of days later. The flight was just too much for you and you needed time to recover from it. I remember being so scared when we had to take you to the emergency department. But you came through and recovered like a trooper.

You are so funny. You laugh all the time and are so naturally curious about life and what passes through your hands. We love watching life through your eyes. We can't believe how blessed we are to have you in our lives.

Liam, this time next week we will be in Perth. Its going to be your new home and we hope you'll love it as much as we do and you'll be happy there. We want to give you the best in life and Perth is where all our family is and its that touch closer to London. You'll get to see your cousins all the time and see Nanna and Poppy. We plan to take you to the beach in summer and give you a backyard that you can play in till your heart is content.

Thank you for choosing us to be your mum and dad. Words cannot express how much we love you and how happy you make us. Your dad said to me that he cannot remember life before your were born. Its like you have always been in our hearts from the day your dad and I met and when you were born, it felt like 'a-ha, here you are'.

We love you Liam. We promise to always do the best we can for you and guide you on your way. Enjoy your first birthday. And here is to many more to come.

With love...always

Mum and Dad xx

2 comments:

Jen said...

*tears*
what a beautiful letter. I'm sure Liam will cherish this as he gets older, and forever.

melissa said...

That is such a sweet letter, and such a great idea. You forget so much - it's great to write it down and one day Liam can read how precious he was to you, and you'll be able to read it and remember these days.