Thursday, December 3, 2009

This time last year...


This time last year I was sitting on a bed at The Royal in Randwick on Day 2 of my induction. I think in this picture I'd just had my third insertion of gel. It didn't really matter, because Liam just didn't want to come out. The gel did nothing. The midwives just wanted the gel to open up my cervix at least half a centremetre so they could break my waters.

On this day I remember going into the breakfast room to get our breakfast (Richard stayed over). I chatted to a lovely mexican lady who had just had her first insertion of gel. Like me, she said it would probably take ages. I remember eating my breakfast and taking our trays back to the breakfast room.

All of a sudden I heard 'GET OUT OF THE BLOODY WAY!!!!!!!!!'. It was the mexican lady and her husband hightailing it down the corridor in a wheelchair. She was crying and screaming. I asked her if she was alright? 'MOVE. MOOOVE. F&&&^^^^KK MOVE!!!'.

How rude I thought. There was no need to be like that.

I went back to my room. My mum had arrived and I told her what happened. She laughed and said that woman was going downstairs to give birth, as her gel had obviously worked. She then told me that was the beginning of labour.

I remember flopping onto my bed (well as much as you can flop at 42 weeks pregnant) and crying. I didn't want to be in that much pain. I wanted to be calm and surrounded by candles, my oils and the soft, dulcet tones of Dave Gray.

Little did I know what I was in for.


3 comments:

Simone said...

haha! isn't child birth great

Camarli said...

It is so nice to be able to reflect on life before child.

Joanna said...

Yes, god i was so bloody naieve!