Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Dropping all my balls...

Here is a brief snapshot of my life these days:

5.45am - alarm goes off
5.50am - shower
6.10am - get dressed, do my hair, drink two sips of a cup of tea
6.30am - wake up Liam, feed him his milk and dress him
6.45am - wake up husband
7am - leave home, do the childcare run
7.15am - kiss husband and run for the train
7.30am - order hot chocolate with two marshmallows from kind man at coffee shop who tells me I look tired...every single morning
8am - start work
5pm - finish work
5.30pm - get home, feed Liam dinner, bath Liam, start dinner
7pm - Put Liam to bed
8pm - forget dinner is burning and realise we need to eat
9pm - pack everything for the following day

And then it starts all over again the following day.

I think if you ask any working mum, the days go by too quickly and its a constant struggle to stretch yourself as mum, wife and employee.

Liam has been sick for the past few days and yesterday Richard took him to the doctor to find out he has a throat infection. I think the three of us have had collectively about 6 hours sleep over the past three nights. When I looked in the mirror yesterday I don't think any amount of concealer could have filled the bags underneath my eyes.

Today I am home with Liam as he's not well enough to go to childcare. Richard has meetings in the city and I have a ton of work to do, but Liam comes first.

Its on days like this that everything comes crashing down and you feel like you are disappointing someone, namely my employer who told me yesterday they would love to make my 3 month contract a permanent role.

I'm realising you can't plan the next week, month or year ahead. You take it day by day and do the best that you can do.

And realise that you aren't superwoman! :)

1 comment:

Shellsibelle said...

I can imagine it would be a real struggle to try to keep up with so many roles in your life, but you are doing a great job :] One day at a time...