Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Goodbye Monday

The boss and I had our chat today. Things feel a little clearer now. She apologised profusely for not meeting with me at the start of my contract and in her words 'forgetting about me'. I didn't mention how I thought it wasn't the nicest thing to give feedback to someone at 5pm on a Friday night but I did say I didn't really relax over the weekend as my mind was filled with work. I thought she might get the hint but she didn't.

I remember when I was temping in London I worked with a lady who had a management role and who also had two kids. I was helping her out for 4 weeks and one day I was sitting opposite her at her desk when I noticed she had a little post it on her computer.

'Breathe breathe and breathe. Its just a job, your family is the most important thing in your life'.

I remember asking about her note and she explained to me that whenever things got too hectic in her day, she would remind herself of what was important. She said you can only get so much done in one day.

I never thought going back to work while raising a child would be so hard for me, but it is. I really don't think I would be working full time unless Richard finished at 2.30pm each day and could spend the rest of the day with Liam. Our plan is for me to work full time for the next two years and then I can scale back a bit once we have some more money in place.

This weekend we've been invited to my brother's 30th and a dinner. We've decided we are going to beat the afternoon traffic on Friday and drive south to Dunsborough to stay with my brother, fiancee and my two nephews. I want to sit on a beach with the boys and build sand castles and just not think about work for a while....

1 comment:

Chelle, Nick and Raya said...

Those sandcastles sound like a great fix Jo