Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Go to sleep my child...

Liam is ratty as hell when he is home from childcare. Rich picks him up and tries to chill him out by taking him to the beach or to the park with a book. It never works until I get home and feed him dinner and bath him and he starts to calm down.

A few weeks ago we couldn't get him off to sleep. We had tried everything...letting him play a little longer, lying on the bed with him and stroking his forehead (always worked in the past). At one point we put him in the stroller and did laps of the neighbourhood. Liam just waved at everyone having a beer in their front garden, which seems to be the norm in Perth :)

So, I came up with a bright idea.

'Rich, lets put him in the car and drive around for 10 minutes'.

Liam now knows if he arks up, we'll put him in the car and drive. I did this tonight. For an hour. Usually it only takes 10 minutes, but Rich was hooking up his new office in the spare room and I thought it best to get Liam asleep before he tangled himself up in phone cords.

As I pulled into our driveway, Liam's eyes where wide open. He'd woken up.

So I had to head out again.

There are things you swear you will never do before you become a parent and then there is the reality of being a parent that will see you do anything to get your child to sleep so you can have dinner before midnight.

2 comments:

Cat said...

Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep! :) I hear you! xo

FabMum said...

My little man just turned 2 and I still do this every now and then, but mostly it's me laying down beside him, holding his hand and singing him songs before he nods off.
You gotta do what you gotta do!
Dee :)