Saturday, March 6, 2010

I went to bed on Wednesday night at 10pm and I didn't fall asleep till 4.30am on Thursday morning.

When I had my epidural it took 3 tries to get it in. I don't remember a lot, but Richard said they were jamming it into my back like you would a nail. Since then I have had a lot of back pain and I am pretty sure its due to the epidural. For the first 12 months after the birth I would actually say the pain is as bad as labour. It would start to contract from the point of where the needle went in and then contract around my rib cage that I would have trouble breathing. A week after Liam was born Richard had to call an ambulance because the pain was so bad.

15 months on, the pain is still there but its not as bad. I couldn't sleep because it was just a constant throbbing pain. I had 1 voltaren and 2 panadol and then another panadol at 4am because I was in tears from feeling so tired and then that seemed to fix it. I took the day off work on Thursday and went and got a massage which has really helped it.

Despite all of that, if I was to have another baby (which is the question this week, I think I have been asked at least 20 times when I am having number two) I'd still have an epidural again. I just think I'd research it better and have more massages or chiro afterwards.

3 comments:

Chantelle {fat mum slim} said...

I had pains for the first couple of weeks from it too, like stabbing pains that would stop me in my tracks. I would have it again too.

I hope yours stop. They're hanging around too long. They're not welcome. x

Chelle, Nick and Raya said...

Jo I had terrible back pain for 5 years following a car accident and understand how exhausting being in pain can be.

Fingers crossed it doesn't last much longer for you x

Sally said...

How about researching drug free options? Second births generally are much easier than first so with good prior preparation, you might avoid the need for an epi totally.