Saturday, May 1, 2010

The week that was...

I've been absent for a while these days and its been for a good reason. I wasn't well and had a week long stay in hospital.

It started last Wednesday. I woke up and got ready for work. Something inside of me didn't feel right. I felt exhausted and I remember not wanting to blowdry my hair. I remember saying to Richard I wasn't going to kill myself to get out the door that morning and when I got to work and went to the bathroom, I remember looking at myself in the mirror and then looking away again. I looked ill. But I just told myself to get on with things.

At lunchtime I went for a walk and got a sandwich. I couldn't chew it and spat it out. I got back to my desk and burst into tears. My two bosses took my aside and told me to go home. They had been concerned about me since the beginning of the week. I was in extreme pain but told Richard I would catch the train home and he needn't bother picking me up. I spent the train journey home crying.

When Richard picked me up I lost it. I said I wanted this pain to be over. He took me to our Chiro, Dane. Dane didn't want to touch me and sent us to the hospital instead. He knew it was an organ problem, either kidney or gallbladder. While screaming down the freeway I called mum and asked her to pick up Liam from childcare.

We got to emergency where I was admitted and given a shot of morphine. They then did a blood test and did an ultrasound. Things were not good. My liver count was extreme which explained the back pain and my gallbladder was about to burst which contained gallstones. I also had a stone stuck in my bile duct.

What happened over the next week I would never wish on anyone. It was awful. I had two operations and was told twice that if it had been left one week, yes one week longer, I would be dead, no question.

I have never been so scared in my life. I thought I was scared when I was about to have my c section but this was different.

One week doesn't sound a long time, but it enabled me to have a good, long hard think about things. It also enabled me to have a rest.

I am home now and feeling 150% better. My tummy is a mass of wounds and scars, but I don't care. I am home, I am alive and I am healthy again.

There are so many things that used to bug me or upset me. I don't care anymore. The sky looks bluer, the grass is greener and I appreciate the birds singing. Life is a series of moments and when you grab those moments by the hand, they make your heart sing.

I really want to thank everyone that sent me good luck messages on facebook and via text. It meant the world to me.

xxx

10 comments:

Chantelle {fat mum slim} said...

You have been in my thoughts. I am so glad you are feeling better. x

Leila said...

How scary! I'm glad you are feeling better xx

Simone said...

oh my you poor thing. i have been thinking of you as well but didn't realise it was that serious!!! ONE WEEK.....

***Amy*** said...

Wow, one week. Such an incredible miracle you got into hospital when you did.

So glad you are feeling better!

sofrenchysochic said...

So glad that you are feeling better and that you have an explanation for why you were so sick. That sounds absolutely awful.

It's great that you feel like you have a new view of life. You're so right, we have to make the most of every moment we are given as we just don't know what's around the corner.

Maree: said...

Sorry to hear you've had such an Ordeal..Glad to hear you are now on the Mend..
cheers

Amy said...

Oh my god Jo :( one week, how scary. I am so so relieved that its all going to be OK now
xoxo

Shellsibelle said...

So glad to hear you are on the mend, Jo. I had a 'near-death-experience' in December so I completely understand the sky is bluer, grass is greener concept! It's like being given a gift to truly appreciate life xox

Chelle, Nick and Raya said...

I am so glad you are feeling better and back on the mend. A scare like this really helps sort out priorities doesn't it

emmaonafarm said...

hope you have a speedy recovery and some time to regroup, kick back and enjoy some mindless daytime television....